Computer vision, pattern recognition, deep learning, remote sensing, data fusion (multi-temporal, multi-resolution/pansharpening, multi-sensor), image segmentation and classification, target and change detection, texture modeling, SAR imaging.
Publications and scores
Giuseppe Scarpa has published more than seventy international journals and conference papers in the fields of remote sensing, image processing and pattern recognition. His main contributes concern image segmentation, classification, object/change detection, SAR despeckling, and, more recently, multi-temporal, multi-sensor and multi-resolution (pansharpening) remote sensing data fusion through deep learning methods.
His paper [Masi et al. (2016)] about deep learning-based pansharpening is one of the 20 most cited articles (out of more than 20000) of the MDPI Remote Sensing journal.
Education and career
- [2019-today] Associate Professor of Telecommunications at UniNA.
- [2006-2019] Assistant Professor at UniNA.
-  Visting Professor at CIRAD (Centre de coopération internationale en recherche agronomique pour le développement), Montpellier, France.
-  Senior Research Fellow at INRIA (Institute National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique), Sophia Antipolis, France.
-  Senior Research Fellow at UTIA (Institute of Information Theory and Automation), Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague.
- [2004-2005] Research contract as Senior Engineer at CRdC ICT (Information and Communication Technology Regional Expertise Center), University of Benevento.
- [2002-2005] PhD student in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering at UniNA (defended in February 2005). - [2001-2002] Research contract as Engineer at the National Inter-University Consortium for Telecommunications (CNIT), Naples.
- [2020-2022] DISPARITY-Phase II Scientific Integrity, US DARPA, participant, 83 k$
- [2018-2020] EarthAlytics Pipe Monitoring, POR Campania, participant, 259 k€
- [2017-2019] Deep Learning for information extraction and land monitoring from Remote Sensing images, DIETI-UniNA, Principal Investigator, 24k€.
- [2014-2017] Very high spatial and spectral resolution remote sensing: a novel integrated data analysis system, MIUR-PRIN, participant, 72 k€
- [2011-2014] IDES Sviluppo di algoritmi per l’elaborazione di immagini telerilevate, finanziamento CIRA, task leader, 100 k€.
- [2006-2008] AIBER: Accesso Intelligente all’informazione integrata di Beni culturali in ambito Regionale, MIUR-FAR, participant, 65 k€
- [2006-2007] Segmentazione bayesiana di immagini telerilevate multirisoluzione, MIUR-PRIN, participant, 24 k€
- [2003-2004] Compressione di immagini telerilevate multitemporali mediante segmentazione bayesiana, MIUR-PRIN, participant, 42 k€
- [2002-2003] Segmentazione e compressione di immagini iperspettrali, MIUR-PRIN, participant, 48 k€
Awards and Fellowships
-  IEEE Senior Member
-  Finalist of the Cor Baayen Award.
-  ERCIM “Alain Bensoussan” Fellowship Programme, EU, 18-months postdoc. Spent in two partner Institutes of ERCIM: Czech Academy of Sciences and INRIA Sophia Antipolis.
-  “Marie-Curie” Host Fellowship, hosted by INRIA, France. 6-months bourse spent as visiting PhD student at INRIA and supervised by Prof. J. Zerubia.
Further scientific roles and responsibilities:
Roles and Responsabilities
- [2019-today] Committee member of the doctorate school of “Information and Communication Technology for Health” at UniNA.
- [2020-today] UniNA delegate at the CNIT Scientific Committee.
- [2019-today] Editorial Board Member of the MDPI Remote Sensing journal.
-  Guest Editor of the Remote Sensing Special Issue “Advances in Multiresolution Fusion in Remote Sensing”, with Dr. A. Mazza e Dr. S. Vitale.
-  Co-Chair of the Special Session “SAR meets AI” at IEEE Radar Conference.
- [2016-2020] Senior Area Editor of IEEE Signal Processing Letters
- [2017-2018] Guest Editor of the Remote Sensing Special Issue “Deep Learning for Remote Sensing”, with Prof. G. Poggi and Prof. L. Verdoliva.
- [2012-2016] Associate Editor of IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- Reviewer for International Journals: IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Remote Sensing.
- Reviewer for International Conferences: IEEE ICIP, IEEE IGARSS, IEEE RadarConf, EUSIPCO.
Teaching @ UniNA
- [2021-today] Laboratory of Signals and Images
- [2016-today] Image Processing for Computer Vision
- [2013-2021] Digital Signal Processing
-  Fundamentals of Telecommunications
- [2007-2009, 2012, 2014, 2020] Signals Theory
PhD Thesis Referee
-  Stanislav Mikes, Charles University, Prague.
-  David Solarna, University of Genova.
-  Bilel Kanoun, University Parthenope of Naples.
-  Andrea Bordone Molini, Polytechnic of Turin.
PhD defense commettee
-  Andrea Bordone Molini, Polytechnic of Turin.
Supervision of Postdocs
- [2021-today] Antonio Mazza, UniNA
-  Giuseppe Masi, PhD UniNA
- [2013-2014] Raffaele Gaetano, PhD UniNA
Supervision of PhD students
- [2020-today] Matteo Ciotola, UniNA
- [2018-2021] Antonio Mazza, UniNA
- [2012-2016] Giuseppe Masi, UniNA
- [2005-2008] (co-tutor of) Raffaele Gaetano, UniNA